Monday, January 17, 2011

Don't Sit Down!!

Last week, my attending was gone for the morning. She had clinic somewhere up in Houston and said I didn't have to come and I should work with the PAs in the office. So I agreed partly because I want the experience and partly because I want her to think I'm interested to get a better evaluation. Well, the PA I was working with didn't have any patients scheduled for about 20 minutes, and the nurses' station for the PAs is really small and crowded. I went to the other nurses' station, sat down, and decided I would keep an ear out for the patients who would arrive. They let everyone know by the intercom through the phone system. While I was sitting there, the other PA came by and saw me. She said to me, "What are you doing here? You should be over there at our nurses' station." I said [very politely], "oh there was no where to sit over there, and there aren't any patients for the next 20 minutes..." And as I was about to say I was going to keep an eye out for new patients coming to the back, she snapped at me quite nastily by saying, "If you are waiting for patients, you should be where you can see them when they come" [which I already was] "because the schedule can change at a moment's notice and when you're a student, you aren't supposed to sit."

Umm leave me alone.

Med school can be brutal. I almost cried because I was having sort of a rough morning too lol.

Two hours later, she apologized and said that she "was looking out for me" so that the other PA wouldn't snap at me too. Umm I've worked with him three times so far, and he has yet to snap. He's actually really nice and tries to teach me. I like him. I dislike her -- a lot.

Until the next one.

No comments: