Sunday, July 01, 2012

One week!

So I've officially finished my first week of residency!! I still feel really stupid though... Hopefully that will change soon. I guess I just have to get used to all the protocols in place at the hospital and when reporting certain things...

What I learned in the past couple of days:
How to calculate fluid balance I'm a kid who's getting peritoneal dialysis
What day x of y antibiotics really means
The labs are sometimes forgets to update the culture results on our patients
If I drink iced tea at lunch, I'm energized enough for the afternoon
I'm a little more efficient than the ther intern. I think the difference between us is that he writes everything in paragraphs and I write a short assessment paragraph and bullet thr plan list. This seems more efficient and much easier to read instead of having to sift through all that text to figure put what we were planning on doing for that patient that day.
We are getting a senior resident to work with us starting tomorrow! I'm not sure whether or not that's a good or bad thing. We don't have many patients on our service and adding another res takes away from the learning side. But, it will help tremendously in clinic. Last week, we had so many patients in clinic that I was there until 7pm, and I didn't even get a chance to write my notes. So we will see tomorrow how that goes.

Let's go! Week 2!

Hopefully I can learn some medicine this week lol...

Until the next one then.

1 comment:

fana said...

it seems like you are getting settled in slowly, you can do it Dr. Haque!