Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My New Vanity Basket

So I'm tired of all the cheap-o bathroom stuff I've had for the past 4 years. My set was a $10 one from Ikea that I don't even like very much. I only bought it because it was cheap. I want to change things up for my new apartment. The great thing about my new bathroom is that the tub has a sliding glass door, so I don't need a shower curtain! This is so exciting to me since I hate when the water leaks out from around my shower curtain, onto the floor, soaking whatever bathroom mats I might have. The other great thing about my new apartment's bathroom is that there is sooo much counter space! The sink is connected to the counter, but it forms an "L" shape to the right of the sink. Essentially, one entire wall of the bathroom is counterspace! There's even space under the counter to put a little vanity chair/stool. I'm super excited about the bathroom. Since I don't need a shower curtain, all I really need is the bathroom accessories set... 


And I loooove this one from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. For everyone who knows me, I love anything if it shines and sparkles with rhinestones and sequins! (Seriously, I do. Its become an addiction with me. I have shoes and flip-flops with sequins and rhinestones, and I have so many sequined tank tops/shirts. For my Indian clothes, the more it sparkles, the better!) Anyways, this set is plain black, and its encrusted with white/clear rhinestones. Perfect for me! Before I found that set at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I had bought a simple turquoise blue basket that I was going to turn into a gift basket for someone, but I found a similar bigger purple one for that purpose instead. I decided I'd keep the blue basket and just use it as a vanity basket to hold my lotions, body sprays, hair products, everyday make up, and etc for my new bathroom. My only issue was that... My basket wouldn't match everything else! Today, while I was walking around the craft stores near by my house (since my mom dragged me with her), I had a really good and really cheap idea... Why not decorate the basket to match?


I started off with all of those items that I found for less than $10 at the craft store. The big satin rose was on clearance for $1, and the fancy sequined ribbon was for 50% off for $2, so I saved maybe $4. With my hot glue gun from 7th grade and a small tube of super glue in hand, I turned all of that into this:

Picture taken with basket on the back surface with the rose on the front surface facing the light
To be used like this:


And like this (from another angle):


It looked pretty great without the rhinestones, but I wanted to give it some element that would make it look like it matched the bathroom set. I found some really nice bath rugs that are the same shade of blue as my basket this past weekend, and now all I need are matching blue towels. Now everything matches!

By the way, this is NOT the bathroom that my new vanity basket is going to live in. I won't be moving there until the first week of July.

This entire project took me about two hours from start to finish. I have absolutely nothing to do, so this provided me with some distraction from everything going on in my head and around me. Loved doing it. What do you think?

Since I have an additional purple basket that I'm making into a gift basket for someone for graduation, I'm thinking of doing a similar, simpler, an even more girly design (read: lots of hot pink and flowers) for her since she's still a teenager. I don't have supplies for it yet, but it will give me something to do! I'll post a pic once I'm done with that one.

Until the next one then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COUNTDOWN TO GRADUATION: 11 DAYS!!

1 comment:

Nazia said...

yay for new apartments! and i like the little box you made!