Tuesday, June 26, 2012

First few days...

So today is my third day of residency. I've already been sleep deprived for over a week, meaning that I haven't woken up past 7am in what feels like forever. Yesterday was a particularly brutal day, and it was what I was expecting an average day to be like. Sunday, my first day was nearly nothing. It just took me a long time to figure out how things are done here and what the computer system is like. Yesterday, I woke up at 5ish, got to the hospital around 6:30ish... I had to prepare for round and write my notes on my 2 patients, and I allotted an hour for each patient. Getting used to the EMR has been quite a challenge. Then after I finished preparing, we had a renal conference at 8:30 until 9:30. Rounds started at 10am so I still had 30 mins to get everything together. Then rounds were over at 11:30, and I had to go to noon conference and eat lunch at the same time... After that was done, we went to the renal clinic, where I worked until 6:30. Then i had to go sign out my patients to the ngt resident and tell them what to watch out for, and I had to write two orders for a patient after that. Whew, I didn't get home until 7:15.

Just writing about it makes me tired haha. I really liked clinic and writing notes and staying busy. I'm technically done for the day today but I can't leave until my attending does this teaching thing he suggested after rounds today, and he said we should meet at 3:30. Le boo. So I'm just hanging out waiting for something to happen lol. I'm going to go check on both my patients in a few minutes though even though I know one is fine and the other is probably still under anesthesia and probably in the PACU, and even though I really want to take a nap dice I just ate lunch.

Today, luckily I got to the hospital around 7 and was able to do some work before we got a page to go to Grand Rounds. What?! I had forgotten and almost freaked out bc I didn't think I'd be ready for rounds by 10. I'm glad I didnt just sleep in to aim to be at work at 8. Sad right? Sleeping in long enough to be here by 8? I'm so sleepy. I think I need to start drinking coffee again despite the fact that I've been getting 6-7 hours of sleep every night. Clearly, it's not enough... Totally going to bed at 9-9:30 again tonight.

Other than that, I'm taking it day by day and everyday I'm realizing how little I actually know. It's both humbling and anxiety provoking. I've been pimped more times these past three days than I have been in the past 10 months.

Things I've learned:
VACTERL Syndrome
Hypercalciuria causes micro stones that can lead to micro trauma of the ureters and persistent hematuria
The three organs involved in ARPKD and why they do bilateral nephrectomies in some patients
That renal patients have really bad bleeding problems bc of problems with their platelets and can be treated by DDAVP like in vWF disease.
Heel sticks are terrible for potassium levels.
Giving maintenance IV fluids in dialysis patients
How dialysis works
Calculating ins and outs in dialysis patients
Being scared about septic shock
What to do when NO ONE can get an IV in a dehydrated kid (in emergencies do an IO, but if non emergent then can do it through interventional radiology.

Hmm what else... I'm sure there was plenty lol.

Well I should go walk around a little and get my blood pumping a little bit before I pass out on the desk here.

I knew this app would be handy :)

Until the next one then

No comments: