Thursday, July 30, 2009

Final Finger Update

So the doxy worked after I drained my finger myself. My finger is almost back to normal. The skin that was over the original abscess by my fingernail died, and so my skin has been peeling on my finger. It quite ugly actually. But, the peeling has gotten a lot better as my skin keeps on growing back. Half of my cuticle is gone though. That'll come back with time. As for swelling, there is none. As for pain, I don't know if I would call it pain... there's just a wierd sensation in there whenever I push on it too hard. Its not hindering me from typing or writing. I don't know how to describe it... Maybe its just bc my finger is still healing. It was pretty itchy before. The itching has died down a bit too. This infection was a pain in the ass especially with trying to study.... and I study by writing notes. I'm just happy its back to a normal size and its not hurting anymore. Seriously, even though it was such a small area, but it would throb and throb on its own, and if I accidentally touched it (even gently), it hurt so bad I nearly cried. Plus, just to throw in a little bit of neuro, you have the highest concentration of touch and pain receptors on the tips of your fingers, so it makes sense why it prob hurt a lot more than what it was. I'm sure if this happened somewhere else, like somewhere there's not a high density of pain and touch receptors (like your back), it wouldn't have hurt as much.

Anyways, I think the doxy really messed with my stomach... I'm getting heartburn like never before. The meds made me nauseous too. I actually threw up one morning because I thought I'd take it before eating breakfast--bad idea. I threw up within an hour. Then I just took it 2 hours after eating and then I'd have to wait 2 more hours to eat anything else. Quite annoying but I didn't want to risk its absorption since calcium prevents its absorption. I finished the meds this morning, and i guess I'll see if the heartburn gets better...

I miss neuro. It made sense and was super-duper interesting because of all the different things going on in the brain. Apparently, I don't think I'm going to be a cardiologist afterall. Its kind of boring stuff... All I've learned is that everything eventually leads to congestive heart failure, and all you really need to know is how to treat that -- beta blockers, ACE inhibitors, furosemide and/or spironolactone. The end. Arrhythmias are kind of cool though, and being able to tell the different kinds apart on the EKG is kind of cool too. However, I hate the physics aspect of cardiology.. there's so much of that with pressures, fluid viscosity, resistance, flow rates, etc. I guess cardio is a let down for me since I was actually considering it as a career option. I really liked neuro a lot more, but neuro residency is hella competitive. I guess I could go internal med and then neuro fellowship -- but I dunno. Let's see how the other classes go... I still have GI, endocrine and ob/gyn, renal, derm/musculoskeletal left. I might have another one but I don't remember.... I don't think its a systems class though.

I have to start studying for boards soon.... I should probably start before winter break.. I have to review all the stuff we learned first year.............. I don't know if I remember any of it actually... Okay, I don't want to think about that right now. I'll think about it after we're done with the next class... I think its GI next. Anyways, right now, I need to focus on not failing my cardio midterm on Wednesday D:
But, after the midterm, I'm coming home! LooOOooOoong weekend baby -- hell yes. I love self-proclaimed holidays :)

Until the next one then.

2 comments:

Nazia said...

ahhh way to post like 10 times in a row and not notify anyone. anywho, nasty finger. hope its good now. cant wait to see you! and good luck with the exams and such!!

Saadia said...

ditto what naz said...dude i so totally know about the throbbing when i f-ed my thumb it was seriously very very annoying. good lucks on your test. yea two more years to go!