Thursday, July 23, 2009

Update on my finger

So my paronychia hasn't gotten better. The incision made by the dermatology resident sealed up again, and the antibiotic Bactrim wasn't getting the infection. I have an idea of why... either because its not a Staphylococcus aureus infection or the antibiotic isn't for a particular strain of strep -- I think its Streptococcus pyogenes that causes it... OR the antibiotic isn't getting to that area maybe because it walled itself off. I got put on another antibiotic -- Doxycycline, and apparently, you can't have any dairy 2 hours before or after it. Interesting. I should look that up.
Anyhow, a tiny abscess formed in my finger right under the incision. I kept soaking it in warm water and squeezing my finger, until the incision popped. Good lord there was a lot of pus in there... As soon as the incision reopened, it just all oozed out since there's a lot of pressure in my finger. It was pretty gross. Then it bled a little, and then a clear fluid came out which I think is the inflammatory exudate that's coming from my blood to help fight off the infection. Now since the incision is open, I sterilized it and covered it with Bactroban (topical antibiotic) so that it can penetrate and start killing those damn bacteria that have been plaguing me for almost 2 weeks now!!! Since I opened it up and drained it a little, there is finally some pressure relief. I haven't felt any sort of relief since the first day my finger swelled up about 1.5 weeks ago.

Here's a picture of what paronychia looks like... mine looked exactly like this in the beginning except on my index finger and my fingertip was huuuuuuuuge.



Pray that the doxycycline and bactroban do their job.

Until the next one then.

2 comments:

the photographer said...

hope it gets better. i had to take doxycycline for my acne for like months, it really helped.

Nads said...

they said to take doxy 1 hour before food or 2 hours after food................... i decided to do it this morning before class........... it made me throw up 45 mins after taking it.......... this might be a problem.